Having shelves in your home can help keep things organized. Here at Shelving Depot, we can help you arrange your things with ease. All you need to do is follow the guidelines here on this blog:
Pair similar items to the theme of your shelves.
If you are planning to have a theme or a specific colour for your shelf, we recommend placing similar things for better contrast. Remember, items that have similar colours, shapes, textures, or functions is a great way to enhance their overall aesthetic. By doing this, your shelf will also look more organized in the process.
On the contrary, if you have a collection of items, like vases of various sizes, shapes, or colours, make sure to disperse them throughout the shelves to create a cohesive look.
Add various items for diversity
One thing you need to know is that having the same object repetitively is not advisable especially if you are looking to enhance the look of your shelf. For this reason, we recommend using various objects to break up the repetition. By placing these items in clever locations, they will draw the viewer’s eye along the shelf. Here are some examples:
- By including a woven basket, metal kettle, or bright red cookbook among your blue plates can add some variety of colours and enhance its look in the process.
- If you are only planning to place your books, then you can try adding interesting covers or differently-coloured spines on your shelves.
- On the contrary, if you have a lot of colourful items, try to add some neutrality by placing your books with the spines facing the back of the shelves so the pages are visible.
Place items that reflect your personality.
If you want to enhance the look of your shelf in your own unique way, then we recommend placing items that reflect your personality and interests. You can try choosing things that are meaningful to you. Here are some examples you need to know:
- If you love photography, you can place a bunch of cameras on your shelf. NOt only is this a convenient way for you to pick them up but it is also a meaningful decoration.
- You can also place your favourite books or video games on the shelves.
- Framed pictures are also a great look on open shelves.
Place frequently-used items on lower shelves.
Another way to decorate your shelf effectively is by assessing the things that you need the most. If you often use your basket or any personal object, you need to place them on the lower shelf. Doing this can help you find them easily if you want to get to them. Here are other things to keep in mind:
- The items you use don’t use often can be stored on higher shelves that aren’t as easy to access.
- Remember, large items may look too noticeable up on the top shelf. For this reason, we also recommend placing them on lower ones for easier access.